01 August 2008

Choosing Color

I'm off to the stained glass shop to purchase glass. I love buying glass. Not the spending money part, because I actually hate money. (Hate is a strong word, but if anything deserves it, money does.) But, I love the choosing color part of buying glass. I feel the same about mosaic tiles and paint samples. Squares of pure color are very, very happy. And that's that.

As a kid, the only reasons I liked the hardware store were the endless free paint samples at the front of the store. My sister and I would collect them. We'd search all the different paint brands to find our favorite sun-in-the-afternoon yellow, our favorite kiss-my-lips red. And then, I loved playing with color palettes for rooms, for outfits, for weddings, and for life using the paint samples. Oh, color is pure bliss.

Once, my sister got married and moved into an apartment. They let me help choose what colors they would use to paint. I took my responsibility very seriously, I collected stacks and stacks of paint samples (I think I still have them, I don't have the heart to throw them away). When I finally gave them my color suggestions, I was probably more liberal with my choices because I wasn't going to have to live with the consequences. In the end, the family room was a warm red and the other rooms were a subtle yellow. It looked rather fabulous if I say so myself.

Then, my other sister got married and we had even more fun. We painted one kitchen wall bright-honey-mustard-with-a-hint-of-orange yellow. To this day, I can't help but grin when I see that square of color on her kitchen wall.

So, now I'm off to pick glass colors. They sell the glass in square pieces and I'm pretty happy about it.

P.S. After reading this post, if you have an overwhelming desire to play with color, check this out. I found the excitement via a favorite-cousin-of-mine's website

No comments: