03 April 2009

National Poetry Month-- April

My poetry abilities consist solely of quoting The Princess Bride.

"Stop rhyming, I mean it."
"Anybody want a peanut."

And so, in honor of National Poetry Month, I'm going to try and make the big leap to go beyond Princess Bride. Today, I leave you with some Billy Collins. He should be everyone's favorite poet. Oh wait, he is.

Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House

by Billy Collins


The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.

He is barking the same high, rhythmic bark

that he barks every time they leave the house.

They must switch him on on their way out.


The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.

I close all the windows in the house

and put on a Beethoven symphony full blast

but I can still hear him muffled under the music,

barking, barking, barking,


and now I can see him sitting in the orchestra,

his head raised confidently as if Beethoven

had included a part for barking dog.


When the record finally ends he is still barking,

sitting there in the oboe section barking,

his eyes fixed on the conductor who is

entreating him with his baton


while the other musicians listen in respectful

silence to the famous barking dog solo,

that endless coda that first established

Beethoven as an innovative genius.

1 comment:

Kathleen A. Ryan said...

Laura - Thanks for sharing a wonderful Billy Collins poem. I'm a huge fan, too! I've attended several of his readings over the past three years.

I love Princess Bride, too. My husband can't help but say, "Have fun stormin' the castles!" every time I leave the house. My kids love the movie, too.

I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog - I think it's terrific, and so refreshing. You are a talented writer - keep up the good work! I'm hooked already!