23 August 2011

Good People

I rode our hand-me-down blue Schwinn bike to school today. The front-wheel break is broken. Stopping is precarious. My skirt billowed on either side as I pedaled. I kept imagining the fabric getting caught in the wheel. I forgot to bring a bike lock, but trusted people's goodness and left the bike leaning on the kickstand. People are good. 

They are truly good. I'm thinking of the person who didn't take my bike, even though it may have looked lonely and lost, untethered. I'm thinking of my mothers. Of sisters who care deeply for people-- care and take care. A friend who said, I hoped you'd sit there when I slipped into the chair right by. I'm thinking of brothers who lift couches for sisters. And one particular husband who just walked in the door.

No comments: